1989. Sent to bed

 I remember our old house as an idyllic dwelling. A huge lawn ran up to a pond and there were trees either side. I remember it being sunny a lot when we lived there. It probably wasn’t. It was probably dreary alot of the time. In reality the house wasn’t idyllic but it was a decent semi detached house with a drive, garden and a garage. Pretty impressive how my parents afforded to buy it despite being so young. My dad showed me what happened to the fish we had in winter time. It wasn’t pleasant. I’m surprised a heron didn’t get them as a nice afternoon snack. There was a big wooden five bar gate that my dad had installed to keep me and my brother from drowning in the pond. Easier to do that than fill it in. We also had a rabbit but that ran away one firework night. My Mum would have been inside running the house and looking after us two. Not an easy job and I dare say she realised she had alot more to offer- not that I’m saying being a mum and running a house isn’t worthwhile work, but she liked the workplace. But I can’t speak for her, this is my story. 

One day I saw her doing the washing. Slamming it into the washing machine, probably not looking forward to the ensuing ironing that would inevitably follow. Yes I’m just doing the bloody washing she replied before covering her mouth with her hand realising what she’d done. I mustn’t have said anything in the moment but the offending word must have lodged itself in my mind. 

A couple of days later my Mums friend was at our house. They were chatting on about life and my Mum got up to go into the kitchen. Nows my chance I must have thought. 

Are you doing the bloody washing? I casually asked not realising what I’d said was wrong. The next thing I remember was turning the brass door handle on the front room door then climbing the stairs to my bedroom. Rule one- you don’t swear. However I believe this punishment to be wholly ridiculous as she was the one who said it first. I picked it up from her. She probably only scalded me because her friend was there. Ironically I’d kill to be sent to my room these days. What probably really happened was that I’d possibly been annoying her in other ways earlier on so this was the perfect opportunity for retribution!

A few weeks later, my mum was waking me from my afternoon sleep for another reason. There was a For Sale sign outside. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1992-ish

1993. A life defining moment- and not in a good way